Dissapearing IE window

Sometimes we can have the situation when the download window disappears because of the IE security settings.

This problem occurred in our GWT application. We have several places which return different kind of reports. The behaviour was really different in different places, while all of the reports are using the same method to write data and to open a new browser window. Some of the reports functioned properly, while IE window was closed immediately on others.

I’ve spent hours trying to understand why.

Suddenly I’ve noticed that in some cases a new browser windows is opened from the asynchronous callbacks and in some cases the window is opened from the code directly. This was exactly the cause of the problem. After I’ve moved Window.open from the asynchronous method – the save dialog started to appear.