Problems while moving OpenSUSE virtual from one host to another
Today I was moving OpenSUSE VirtualBox virtual machine from one host to another.
I’ve used standard VirtualBox approach by using “Import/Export Appliance”.
When trying to boot OpenSUSE the following error appears “Could not find /dev/disk/by-id/…-part2”
So trying to fix this situation the next steps helped me:
- Start your virtual and wait until SDB(OpenSUSE boot manager) appears
- Press “Esc” key and you’ll be prompted about moving to the text mode. After agreeing – you’ll be moved to simple GRUB
- Select the first command and press “e” to edit this command
- Edit command in the following way. Replace all /dev/disk/by-id/…-partN with /dev/sdN.
For example replace /dev/disk/by-id/…-part2 with /dev/sda2
- Press Enter to save command and then press “b” to boot
As a result you’ll be able to get to bash.
- From bash you’ll need to edit(for example using vi) the following files: /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Just replace invalid volumes the same way as in step 4
Now the boot should be fine.
In case if you have installation disk – simply start recovery console and execute step 6(editing /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst) and reboot.