Why has Kotlin Become More Popular?
1. It is a well-developed language and environment
Kotlin’s creators cared a lot about pushing their product through many stages before they released the final version. Before the ultimate version, the language spent several years in the alpha stage and then in the beta stage. This has made everything work as you would expect.
2. Android development becomes much easier
There is a widespread opinion that Android development has become easier with Kotlin, and this is true. The compilation time in Kotlin is similar to that of Java, and the library required is very small, so it will not add additional code lines.
3. Has some serious tech advantages
A developer using Kotlin saves time while producing more stable code. Here is why:
- The compiler helps a developer easily detect errors at compile time, not during the runtime.
- A new developer can more easily understand the code of a technician who previously worked on the project.
- Boilerplate is avoided because it is usually aimed at reducing the loss of the language.
4. It’s multiplatform
Kotlin was essentially designed to run on JVM, so it can be used on any devices that can run JVM. The possibility of doing front-end development using Kotlin appeared in the later version – Kotlin 1.1 (experimental Kotlin/JS). The language’s progress hasn’t stopped. With the help of Gradle support, it is possible to write Gradle files in Kotlin. In turn, Kotlin Native has opened the language’s potential for almost any platform.
In summary, the language is beneficial because of its unique characteristics, multiplatform possibilities, and perfect compatibility with Android. On the other hand, refactoring and bug fixing are sometimes sluggish enough to darken the whole project.
In any case, companies like Pinterest, Basecamp, Slack, and Netflix have considered the cost and settled on Kotlin.